Monday, October 26, 2009

solid foods

christian's been eating solids for about two weeks now. he's still not sure if he likes it.

we've been making out own baby food along so way. so far he's tried: rice cereal, zucchini, apple sauce, banana. next up: peas, carrots, and sweet potatoes.

any tips for us along the way? we added cinnamon to the rice cereal and that seemed to make it more palatable for him.

his favorite part of eating solids? sitting in his high chair and slurping water in between spoonfuls.

5 comments:

Webster Family said...

avocados, black beans, etc are still my kids favorites! Eliza also really enjoyed the salmon stuff. Way to make your own--it definitely saves money.

Jones said...

I think spices are the key. Certain spices need to wait a bit, but we used spices that we normally ate and he always liked them (even garlic powder)!

The Gilberts said...

I'm not sure what to suggest- Jackson was the best eater and just wolfed down whatever he was served... maybe make sure he's really hungry before you start? Also, you might try offering two items side by side, like applesauce and green beans. That way he can alternate and appreciate the tastes of both...? Also he gets a reward for eating the stuff he likes less.

cameron said...

awesome... do they sleep better once you feed them solid foods?

Melissa Bluey said...

Ben hates rice cereal too! I've heard that you can make it with fruit juice rather than milk/water to make it taste better, but I haven't tried that yet. I actually gave him oatmeal this morning (jarred baby food) and he liked it MUCH better.

Carrots and sweet potatoes are Ben's favorites, peas not so much.