Friday, July 2, 2010

balcony gardening 101

For three years now, we've killed several rounds of plants out on our balcony. Part of the problem is us and part of the problem is our location. Our poor plants get FULL SUN for much of the day and during the week sometimes we completely forget about them and by the weekend...well, let's just say they are looking pretty thirsty, if not totally shriveled up and dead.

However, the family below us has a brood of beautiful, thriving plants that are getting ready to yield some lovely produce. I'm totally jealous. I asked them what the trick was and they told me: EarthBox.
I was intrigued and looked them up. They claim to the plants refreshed and make it near impossible to over water them. Next year, I'm thinking we just might have to splurge on these suckers. Think it could be worth it? Maybe for once we can make it through the growing season without drying up all our herbs and produce. {Either that or we'll need to plan some extra trips to California during harvest time so we can steal fresh veggies and spices from my parents' and grandparents' impressive gardens.}

2 comments:

Miranda said...

I get NO sun and still water my (wilting) plant twice a day. Maybe something like Earthbox is a good investment...then again, maybe I should try replanting my jar plants into actual pots and see if that helps!

Jill said...

I'm impressed by your efforts. Maybe I'll delve into balcony gardening next year. . . .