Sunday, May 13, 2012

mother's day 2012


"Mom, you want toast?"

I admit when I first heard Christian's pajama-ed feet enter the bathroom while I showered my first reaction was, "Ahh, but I was finally going to shower by MYSELF!" It was Mother's Day, after all.

I pulled back the shower curtain when I realized he wasn't just stripping and hopping in and listened again. "Mom, you want toast?"

"Oh, sure, that would be great," I said, feeling relieved and slightly guilty for my initial reaction.

Christian loves to hop in the shower with me and I don't mind it most days but because he's quite the water hog I don't get much done after he enters. Which means sometimes my legs are more than a little hairy. And so that morning I had been looking forward to long, steamy and more productive shower.

A minute after Christian left the bathroom Shane entered. "You really want toast for breakfast? I just want to be sure. He was supposed to ask what you wanted for breakfast."

Ahhh, that's what happened. Christian probably wanted toast. He likes to sit and lick the jam off of it these days. And it's easy for him to make. He and Shane ended up making me french toast instead. Still, I can't believe I have a son old enough to ask me what I want for breakfast and then help prepare it.

This is my fourth Mother's Day but there are still some days I can't believe these sweet little boys are mine and I am theirs. Oftentimes it still seems to good to be true.



Shane's mother is in town for another week or so. We were excited to have her all to ourselves on Mother's Day. She's been such a help with the boys the past few weeks. I'm not sure how we're going to handle life without an extra set of hands on deck.

4 comments:

Megan Guerrero said...

so cute. I love the narrative :) The boys are dolls and Shane looks like he's losing some weight? And yes, you do rock the red lipstick.

Peruch Family said...

You have such a beautiful little family.

ivyjeanne said...

Shane is definitely trimming down. He gained a bit stressing/studying for the CA bar. He's been excited to have more time at the gym and to prep good meals. Hoping he'll be willing to join me and the boys at the pool this summer. ;)

Darla said...

What a sweet pic! And I'm glad I got a pic of your lovely RED lipstick! I have yet to find a good red for me. They're always pinky! (I'm posting like crazy on here..sorry!)