Thursday, June 6, 2013

moving on

Remember when Shane was gone all during my birthday weekend?

Well he was busy getting a new job at the time. He accepted that new job on May 1 and by June 1 someone else was living in our apartment of nearly six years.

We are now living in sunny California, right back where we were visiting in February-March. Living with my parents while we scout around for a house. Little did we know at the time that all this would be happening. Funny how once things finally got moving they went so fast. The timing was a bit rough because Shane had just started to settle into his new job in D.C. and the boys and I were finally enjoying some time together at home now that I'm done working full time (for the time being, anyway).

But -- here we are! Finally on the go after looking for struggling to find a direction during these past few years. Basically since Shane started law school we've been on the prowl for a summer associateship that would turn into a job. And that never happened. Thanks to the economic meltdown several thousand law students were left jobless over the past few years. We were just lucky Shane had a  legal job during law school that gave him enough experience to hop into this new firm. Otherwise, we'd never have been qualified for it.

We're still pinching ourselves because it all happened so fast. And it's the job Shane went to law school for that seemed completely out of reach when the market collapsed. So we couldn't be more grateful/stunned/awed by how this all unfolded so perfectly. As he said goodbye to D.C. this past week, Shane said he felt so strongly that this had all dragged out for so long for a reason. Even though it's been six years of struggle he was able to feel peace about all we've gone through to get here.

It was sad packing up our tiny, two-bedroom apartment. Even though we were so over it. It was still our home of nearly six years. The only one we've ever known together as a married couple. The one that welcomed our babies into the world and saw them take their first steps. It has been a haven from the chaotic lives we've lived in D.C. It connected us to a ward and circle of friends that we'll forever cherish. It will always have a space in our hearts.

But now we're ready to move on. We've been on hold in too many aspects of our lives. We needed a jolt to kick us back into gear. It feels so good to finally be moving --  and dreaming -- again.

3 comments:

Webster Family said...

I'm so happy for you and your family. I'd be happy even if it wasn't so close to me because I know how long you've been hoping for change. :) Love you guys! So happy to have my 'big' sis back!

Laura said...

I'm so glad that things are finally moving forward! That period of waiting and waiting for the right job to come along so that everything else can fall into place is not easy! How awesome that you get to be close to your family again! I'm so happy for you guys!

Cindy Merris said...

So happy and excited for y'all! I wish you were moving to Texas. :) Your family is so beautiful. I hope to meet your cute boys someday.