Monday, January 10, 2011

21 months

This little guy turned 21 months old on Saturday. I can't believe he's nearly two!

He is one very busy boy. Here are some of the things he's into these days:

Climbing
He climbs on anything and everything. The tops of our couches, along our heating units and sneaks onto the window sill, and recently he's surprised us by climbing out of his crib and onto his dresser. We found him on the dresser one night crying because he couldn't figure out how to get back in his crib. (While up there he managed to dismantle his stereo too.)

Hugging
This kid is a hugger. He hugs people of all ages but he really loves to hug babies. I think he's scared more than a few new mothers but he really is so sweet around kids smaller than himself. He also gives a little sigh when he hugs: ahhh. And if you're lucky he'll pat your back. Melts my heart.

Kissing
He'll give you a kiss if you ask for one but even cuter is him blowing you a kiss. He does this smacking with his lips that is just adorable. It's a nice sound effect that carries well over the phone (just ask his grandmothers).

Growing
We got back from less than two weeks in Idaho and Christian had stretched out significantly. All the sudden he can reach and turn all the door knobs in the house (instead of just the front door). We're not the only ones who've noticed he's lengthened a bit. People at church kept commenting on it too.

Talking
He's still got a long ways to go in the talking world but he's definitely made some huge improvements lately. In Idaho it seemed like he was pulling out a new word every few hours. He's been playing with a greater variety of sounds lately and is more willing to copy us. My favorite right now is probably: shoe. He's so cute making that "shhh" sound.

Shhhing
Speaking of the "shhh" sound, if Christian thinks you are sleeping, he's very quick to "shh" everyone around him. Funny thing is, he seemed to think the stuffed animals on our neighbor's Christmas wreath were sleeping, so every time we came into our apartment during the month of December we had to "shh." He cracks us up.

Brushing
He hurries into the bathroom and grabs his toothbrush out of the drawer as soon as I start to suggest we brush his teeth before bed. I think it helps that he now uses some kiddie tooth paste but still, it's nice to see him excited about it. He's not as excited about letting me help him brush so we're working on "sharing" the brushing responsibilities. He also loves to comb my hair and his hair.

Bathing
Nothing new here but he still loves his baths. He runs to the tub and often still has his clothes on when he crawls in. He's also decided he likes the shower again. It was really nice the other day when I was able to get out before him and work on my hair and make-up while he continued to peek-a-boo around the curtain at me.

Balling
This kid hasn't met a ball he doesn't like. He got a new mini football for Christmas and didn't care to open any more gifts. He also got a basketball hoop for here at the house from Santa and its the best idea we've ever had. It entertains him for hours at a time while I make dinner and do dishes and such. Best $35 we've ever spent. At the park he can watch people play tennis for 10 straight minutes and he loves to swing a bat or pitch a ball. It's also impossible to keep him off the court when he spies the youth playing basketball at the church on Wednesday nights.

Sharing
He's no pro but I'm told he's a pretty good sharer. His babysitter raves about his willingness to share and never pick a fight. I think he struggles a bit more on Sundays at nursery but if we mention the word share he immediately lets up if he and another kid are after the same item. Shane and I are sure glad to see him developing this skill. Especially since he's an only child at the moment.

Caring
Like I've been pointing out, Christian really has a gentle heart. He's very passionate at times but also quick to show love. If he thinks you've got an "owie" and especially if he's the one who may have hurt you he's so quick to show remorse it's almost painful. He reaches out immediately for the hug and tears up almost instantly and has to be reassured that everything is going to be okay. Too sweet, really. I think I'll keep him.

Laughing
Christian has a fabulous sense of humor. He's a showman. And he likes to make you laugh. He pops out to surprise you from behind a wall and is all giggles. Or he'll chase you around the house. He loves to wrestle and be tickled.

Playing
Like all kids his age, he's constantly playing. He loves trains, cars, balls, etc. But really, he doesn't need much stuff to be entertained. He loves to be swung around, hang upside down, fly in the air, climb on my back, ride on Shane's shoulders -- you name it. He's very physical. Very active. We love it. Most of time. ;)

Okay, I'm sure there's much I'm forgetting since I'm writing this past my bedtime but for now, I'll leave it at this.

3 comments:

Webster Family said...

I don't care what anyone says-I love watching my kids grow up and explore and do all these things. I love this age that Christian is in--enjoy every second!

belle black said...

So. Stinkin'. Cute. I love hearing everything Christian is doing these days. Do you think he'd be up for a playdate with Sabrina soon? I'd love to catch up with his mom and see all his fun new tricks. :)

Jonathan and Rachel said...

So fun... and so many things that are perfectly in line with Micah! These two kidos could be roomies one day!