Sunday, January 16, 2011

the escapee

I walked into Christian's room tonight and found him standing on his window sill.

We're so lucky he didn't fall backwards.

When I heard him yelping for help I was slightly annoyed, figuring I'd find him in his crib begging for some milk. Of course, my feelings changed when I opened the door.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So I called Shane in for his reaction.

To get to his window Christian must have climbed over his crib onto the dresser (where he knocked over the stereo and speakers we use to play him lullaby music) and from there stood up and crossed onto the window sill. He then probably enjoyed a minute or two looking out the window into the parking lot before realizing he was completely stuck. He couldn't bend his knees to let himself down without pushing himself away from the window pane and risk losing his balance.

Again, we're so lucky he didn't fall. I don't even want to think about what could have happened.

Of course, Christian was completely unaware of any real concern. He was just relieved to be freed from the window sill but also weary of being scolded. Instead he was hugged and allowed to sit on his dad's lap for a few minutes while we watched the end of "The Social Network." So much for our tough parenting skills. ;)

Before we left to spend Christmas with Shane's family in Idaho, Christian escaped from his crib two nights in a row. Once we found him on the dresser, once we found him standing on the bottom rail of his crib trying to get back in. We planned to convert his crib to a bed when we returned but held off when we realized he hadn't escaped since. Now I guess we have some decisions to make. For starters, it's probably time to get that dresser far away from that crib.

For those of you with kids, are we right in thinking we need to ditch the crib at this point?

P.S. For those wondering, we both enjoyed "The Social Network" -- there were a few moments where I was worried we needed to do some editing but the story was well-paced and very interesting. Although now I really don't like Mark Zuckerberg.

8 comments:

Brooke said...

I would most definitely get that boy into a bed!

Jordan and Crystal said...

we have just had to deal with this. Daniel was consistently climbing out of his crib. We couldnt even hear him get out. So We converted to a toddler and it has been great. The first day was rough because I would shut the door and he would just play and not go to bed etc.. But now I leave the door open and explain its naptime/bedtime, he looks at book on his bed and he doesnt come out till he wakes up. So he has been great with it.

I have some friends that recommend a crib tent. we didnt want to spend the money for one.

Webster Family said...

Yep, it's time for a bed! Otherwise it isn't safe. (As you've already seen). Just put a gate on the door so he won't be able to get out and a good guard rail and he might not try that hard. Ha Ha. Good luck!

Jonathan and Rachel said...

We're about to switch Micah too ... around 2 is a good age - and you will probably have many testing moments because they WILL get up and out of bed ... but that's just the not so fun part of being a parent (teaching rules/limitations etc.!) He may do just fine though too ... GOOD LUCK!

cameron said...

scary!!!!!! I am not looking forward to the escapee... I think I would have freaked... then laughed.

Tiana said...

Ellie learned to escape pretty quick, but soon she was pro at climbing in and out. She LOVED her crib, and if it weren't for the "no room, another child" thing, we totally would have kept her in there longer. I say, keep the kid in the crib as long as you can. Just move the dresser far far away.

That said, if your crib turns into a bed, he might not feel so "taken out" when you convert, but be prepared to play the in out game a whole lot more.

Emily said...

wow he is one determined little boy!!

Jones said...

Both Liam and Eamon figured out how to climb on the lovely heat/ac fixtures in Edlandria...very unsafe. I'd say ditch the crib, but be ready for him to keep climbing :)