Wednesday, May 16, 2012

the sock bun

On Sunday I tried out the "sock bun" that is so popular in the blogging world these days.

I used one of Shane's old brown dress socks and it worked out pretty nicely -- especially considering it was my first attempt and there wasn't much time to make it work before church.

What do you think? I like the fullness of the bun and felt classy and put-together without much effort. Add in my attempt to pull off red lipstick and I actually look like I'm trying again. Win-win in my book. Especially these days when I can't seem to carve out much -- if any -- personal time.

I'm definitely going to experiment with it this summer -- higher, lower, smaller, fatter, Princess Leia-style...okay, maybe not.

This tutorial was the key to my success:

(Yes, this girl is a little wordy but stick with her, she knows what she's doing.)

With rain and humidity in the forecast I wore my hair to work this way yesterday too. It stayed up all day, which is not something I can usually say when I put my hair up. It's so silky/smooth/thin/slippery that it doesn't take to most up-dos very well and I usually end up looking pretty disheveled by the day's end, no matter how much effort I've made early that morning.

It's been fun to pretend I have thick, luscious hair that I can just toss into a beautiful bun whenever I'm in the mood. (Especially since the shedding still hasn't stopped, as was pointed out to me by my hairdresser the other day.)

8 comments:

Janey said...

You just changed my life! Got a sock out as I was reading your post and wallah! Hair is already done at 8:45 am, that's a new record :) thanks!!!!

Janey said...

You just changed my life! Got a sock out as I was reading your post and wallah! Hair is already done at 8:45 am, that's a new record :) thanks!!!!

Janey said...

You just changed my life! Got a sock out as I was reading your post and wallah! Hair is already done at 8:45 am, that's a new record :) thanks!!!!

Jarae said...

Ivy, try doing the sock bun with damp hair a little higher on your head (like almost the top of your head) and leave it in over night and it gives you those pretty, loose curls. My sister did it and it turned out so cute. Just add a little hairspray and you are good to go the next morning. :)

ivyjeanne said...

So glad you tried it, Jane!

Jarae -- great thinking! My hair was actually wet yesterday when I tried it and I did have a wave when I pulled it out -- something I need to take advantage of!

Webster Family said...

too bad my hair is gone! maybe when it grows out a little more. I saw your mom tonight--miss you!

Brendan, Dana, Hazel, Hattie, and Niels said...

So I did the sock bun today and loved it! It made my hair look so thick. Thanks! By the way, the girl on the video is hilarious.

Darla said...

LOVE! And I want to see your red lipstick. Take a pic of your pretty face next time, as well. :)