Tuesday, June 19, 2012

father's day 2012



Father's Day was not quite as I'd pictured it. Due to a way-too-late return from a way-too-long road trip the day before, no one was in the best mood after sitting through three hours of church Sunday morning.

To top it off, I couldn't find the gift Christian had picked out for Shane anywhere -- and we had just bought it Friday afternoon!

So, being the loving, magnanimous wife that I am, I did what I had to do -- I went digging though the garbage. Only the garbage was already in the dumpster outside our apartment building. Gross, gross, gross! And when I didn't find it there I was half-relieved, half-annoyed.

But, it turned up with another trip down to the car. At which point I was half-relieved, half-annoyed again. Of course, Christian was just excited to wrap the gift he'd picked out and hand it to his dad. Which made all the digging worth it.

I had this image of us all sitting around the table enjoying a lovely summer meal before we proceeded to the shower Shane with gifts. That quickly faded when Christian hilt meltdown mode while dinner was still cooking. Instead, we fed him a microwaved quesadilla, had a quick, gift-giving ceremony (during which Christian said, "Happy Birthday, Daddy!"), made a few calls to grandpas and sent him to bed before enjoying a quiet meal to ourselves.

Let's just say it was a timely reminder of what our own fathers have gone through over the years.


Thanks, Dads Sellers and Larsen, for putting up with us, especially at those time when we didn't deserve it!

3 comments:

cameron said...

THE DUMPSTER IS OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR ME

The Gilberts said...

I think our 2-3 year old selves were probably bliss compared to our school age/ teenage selves! Yes, thank you fathers for putting up with it all!

Laura said...

Sounds just like my house! What a great gal you are - rummaging through the dumpster. You go!