...and that's what I had to tell myself while running the hilly "Freedom's Run" half marathon in Shepherdstown, WVa. this morning.
In some ways it was less grueling than I thought it would be. That's not to say it was a cake walk by any stretch of the imagination. I definitely felt pushed to my limit at times. But I was blessed with fabulous running partners, a scenic and historic route through a national park, and insanely perfect weather. Not to mention a wonderful group of cheering fans encouraging me to finish strong, including my handsome (and very supportive!) husband and sweet son.
But then again, why mess with perfection? Could it really get any better?
Besides, I'm probably still on my runner's high, right? Just wait till I wake up tomorrow stiff and sore...
***
This post wouldn't be complete without a sincere thank you to Julianne, who sent an e-mail around back in June that sparked what some have lovingly labeled "a four-month therapy session." I never would have started running like this at this point in my life if it wasn't for her example.
I also want to publicly thank my husband for all of his help along the way. He sacrificed a LOT of his own time by letting me disappear four mornings a week to train. And I didn't always show my appreciation for it the way I should have. There is NO WAY I could have done it without his loving support (and gentle hints to get out of bed at 5:30 am). Love your guts, handsome!
{More photos to come. Unfortunately, none of the group shots are on my camera. These are just a few from the handful Shane snapped at the end. In fact, I hesitate to post these photos at all, because this race was definitely a group triumph and I don't want anyone to think it was all about me or that I could have ever done this on my own.}
5 comments:
Well done! I don't think I ever will (or even have the desire to) run a marathon. You are amazing.
Yay!! So proud of ya!
work it... work it... ben has done two halfs and i just can't imagine running that long... so tiring. I was exhausted just driving the route.... YOU GO!
You are awesome! What a great accomplishment!
wahoo on the race! You look like such a runner, and I'm sure it feels great to know you accomplished your goal!
Post a Comment