Monday, June 20, 2011

for the record: father's day food

{photo credit: DanaMadeIt blog}
First off, just so everyone knows I'm not some evil vegetarian wife who refuses to let her poor husband eat meat, let the record show that I bought Shane a steak for Father's Day and even put it in the oven for him.

I say most of that in jest, but you'd be surprised how many people look at Shane through sympathetic eyes when they hear his wife is a vegetarian. And he totally has fun with it. Not really so much at my expense (I don't really care what people think about my vegetarian ways), but because people seriously think they need to sneak him a quarter pounder or something.

Okay, now onto the good stuff -- I also made a delicious peach cobbler yesterday. I say this not to boast about my own mediocre cooking skills, but to say this recipe is worth sharing. We will definitely be repeating this dessert in the future. I used fresh, white peaches and the flavor was fabulous paired with vanilla ice cream. And for once, my dish came out looking as pretty as the pictures from the recipe.

Dana's Mom's Peach Cobbler
Peaches:
3-4 cups of fresh cut peaches (about 5-6 peaches) OR 1 large can of low-sugar peaches
1 Tbl cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice (only if you're using fresh peaches)

Biscuit Topping:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbl shortening
1/2 cup milk
Serves 4-5 people.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2 comments:

cameron said...

DELICIOUS!!!! ps. i would like some delicious filling meals that do not have meat to cook - i just can't do meat every day. too much for me... throw me a few recipes you love...

Darla said...

Oh YUM, IVy!! Were those YOUR pics or the recipes? Either way, I can't wait to make it!!