Sunday, July 17, 2011

pw's fettuccine alfredo

I indulged in some comfort food tonight and it was fabulous.

What I really wanted to make was the Pioneer Woman's vegetable lasagna (it's amazing!) but when I got home from church it was nearly 6:30pm and waiting till after 8pm to eat dinner didn't sound like the best idea for a two-year-old toddler and his pregnant mother.

Now I've never been much of a fettucine alfredo girl but it's funny what pregnancy can do to you. Don't get me wrong, I would probably never turn it down, but I'm definitely a marinara girl at heart (and so is Christian, funny enough). My favorite foods growing up were my grandma's lasagna and my mother's spaghetti.

But in skimming PW's list of quick pastas, this dish called out to me.

Switching gears wasn't too hard. We subbed whole wheat spaghetti (why is it so hard to find whole wheat fettuccine?) and used the end of a carton of half-and-half instead of heavy cream (we were lucky to have even that on hand since I don't stock many dairy products). Tossed with some steamed peas (my go-to green veggie for Christian when I'm in a rush -- especially after discovering my fresh spinach has frozen in the back of the fridge -- so frustrating!).

Long story short, PW is definitely the queen of comfort food in my book and her fettuccine alfredo is fast and oh-so-satisfying when you're in the mood for a creamy carb-fest.

No comments: