Wednesday, July 27, 2011

an update on christian

Notice all my food posts lately? Gosh, you can tell what I think about when I'm pregnant! (I either know exactly what I want or nothing sounds good.)

So let's talk about my other favorite thing to blog about: Christian.

I haven't given a real update in a while. Here are some quick tidbits:

- He really didn't start stringing words together till after he turned two. Now he comes up with new sentences every day. It's amazing how quickly kids pick things up.

- Until recently he said "yesh" to affirm anything (maybe he heard a little too much of Michael Scott from the womb?)


-He's extremely nimble. He jumps off couches, climbs playgrounds built for kids much older than he is, and can handle jumping on a big trampoline with his eight-year-old cousin.

- His favorite verb of the month: fly.

"I fly," he says and he runs down the hall in his birthday suit after a bath with a towel hanging over his shoulders. "I'm flying," he says as I pick him up and he spreads his arms as I hustle him down the stairs and into the car. "I fly," he says as he jumps off the arm of the couch onto the trampoline or floor.

- I don't think he totally grasps yet that a baby is on the way but he constantly wants to pull my shirt up and look for the baby when I bring it up. This can be quite awkward when he starts to pull my dress up while waiting in line at the grocery store. He also checks under his own shirt for a baby in his belly.

- He refuses to say the number three. He will skip it, saying: "One, two, four, five." I tell him he missed three and he just laughs at me.

- When he gets upset with us he will go in his room and slam the door (like a teenager!). At times we'll even be ready to put him in there for timeout and he beats us to it. We have a really hard time not cracking up in front of him which only makes him more upset.

- The song he requests every night to sing while I rock him before bed? "I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home." Again and again and again. Extremely appropriate considering he is constantly asking me, "Where's my daddy?" -- especially since Shane started spending every waking minute studying for the bar. Another favorite: "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam."

- He obviously adores his dad, climbs all over him and wants to play ball and wrestle with him whenever he gets the chance. He's going to be over-the-moon when he finally gets his dad's full attention this weekend, and in the weeks and months to come.

- From the time he gets up till the time he gets to sleep, he is constantly on the go. He definitely keeps us on our toes. But, that means once he falls asleep he sleeps so deeply that I can just about clean his whole room without waking him. Last week he fell with a thump out of his bed onto the floor and Shane dashed in to comfort him, only to find him still asleep!

{P.S. The toys pictured above arrived Saturday morning, just in time to keep him entertained during that awful heat wave. Thank goodness for zulily deals and Melissa & Doug wood toys.}